Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Limited Safety of and within Meetings

I recently had a powerful experience of how the AA meeting is not safe in all respects and all circumstances. In addition, this same experience taught me an important lesson about the power of storytelling and how it can be used both for good and for evil.

Two weeks ago, I attended a meeting wherein a man, in an obvious state of agitation and distress, disclosed to the people at this meeting that the night previous he had "snapped" and had "beaten the shit" out of his 8 year old daughter and his wife. He explained that he had not "punched" his daughter with a fist, but had spanked her --- hard. He even acted out the severity of his spanks. He didn't describe the form of beating that his wife suffered, but he did say that at the end he'd told his wife to go into her room and lock the door. He then left the house and spent the rest of the night driving around town.

When he reenacted the spanking he'd given his daughter, I knew immediately that he'd crossed a line between "disciplinary" and "abusive." What he was demonstrating was abuse, clear and simple.

Present in the meeting was a nurse with 20 years sobriety. There were also at least three women and one man who I know from their stories have each suffered various forms of physical and/or sexual abuse from men in their past.

I left the meeting and struggled for at least an hour with the ethical dilemma presented by what I'd experienced at that meeting. I felt a strong ethical mandate to report this information to the police and/or Child Protective Services: primarily because I believed that this man's daughter and wife were both in imminent danger of further abuse from this troubled man. At the same time, I felt some obligation to protect this man's annonymity and his right to privacy in terms of what he'd shared in the context of the meeting. In the end, after consulting with several other AA members and my wife (who had been responsible for the "Safe Enviroment" program in our local Catholic diocese for several years (the department responsible for ensuring that children in Catholic institutions were protected from such abuse, whether it be from priests or others) --- and I ended up convinced that I had an obligation to call the police. And I did.

The police did go to the man's home and question him about what happened, as well as interview his wife and then his daughter. I'm not sure exactly what was said to the man by the police and the only one talking about what supposedly happened is the man himself. His story is that the police agreed with him that what he'd done to his daughter was permissible disciplinary action. I'm not at all sure that's true, but that's the story he's spreading in and out of the meetings ever since as he is on a intense search for "the snitch in AA" who called the police on him. As I have been listening to him, I'm coming to realize that "story" can be used for both good and evil. Stories, even untruthful and deceitful ones, can be very powerful and effective.

I have no regrets or shame about what I've done. I'm troubled by the fact that it appears I may have been the only one who felt obligated to call the police. I'm troubled by the fact that those four people who had prior experiences of being abused may be thinking to themselves that this group is condoning what this man did to his daughter and wife and that by their silence they are supporting an abuser and ignoring two co-victims of abuse. I'm troubled by the fact that I've been silent to date as to what happened and what was the right thing to do --- because to do so would expose the fact that I was probably the one who called the police.

But is my "silence" buying into the myth of this guy's power as an abuser? I personally don't believe this guy would attempt to harm me should I disclose to him, either privately or in front of the group, that I called the police and why I did that. I believe that he's a good man who's battling cancer and in conjunction with that battle, is taking a variety of medications that are probably messing with his whole sense of well-being and sanity.

I'm now looking for a good "story" that will convey to the group and to this guy the limited safety we have in AA meetings, but more importantly, some sort of truth about acceptable and unacceptable ways of dealing with stress and anger. When I find it, I will tell it. AA meetings are safe primarily in the sense that anyone should be able to come in and share their struggle with alcohol/drugs and not be ashamed of who they are or what they have done in the context of that struggle. AA meetings are not a safe haven for people to disclose unlawful acts, nor are the statements made in AA meetings somehow privileged from disclosure to law enforcement or legal deposition. As one group warns with a plague in their meeting room: "Notice! What you say here can be used against you in a court of law." Not only that, AAer's are particularly bad about keeping things private. To pretend otherwise is stupid and dangerous. That's why we don't share our 5th step from the podium.

So, until I do come up with this story, I am privately approaching the four people who have histories of abuse in their lives and sharing with them what I have done and that I am there for them should they want to talk.

Take care!

Mike L.

3 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

i can only speak for myself but my first line of enquiry would have been to try to alter the cause of the problem. his anger. by that i mean trying to help him get a better program. he would have been the focus of my energies. not the most recent expression of his dis-ease.

but as with most things. it is almost impossible to tell second hand as i can only really know the situation if i see it for myself.

the reason i say this is because i have witnessed very effective sponsorship by unprofessional (ie normal aa members) aa members with very (!!!!) criminally violent types. so i am confident of the effectiveness of the program with such people.

Anonymous said...

We admitted we are powerless over alcohol -- that our lives had become unmanageable.

We have no right to meddle in outside issues -- we can't manage our own lives, we have no right to attempt to manage someone else's. Especially when to do so is to break the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th traditions.

I'm far from an AA police, but if you have faith in the AA program, and live by its traditions, it will work for you.

I remember Danny Devito in that movie, the War of the Roses. Also Clint Eastwood in a Fistful of Dollars. Sure, there's a lot of money to be made with one enemy on one side and another enemy on another, and you right in the middle -- but then again, when the two sides turn against you, you get screwed. And playing the middle man is only an attempt to exhibit controlling behavior. You're not god. Stop trying to play him.

Mike L. said...

Not God (but an apparently very interested bystander..):

Thanks for your comments. I am not sure how my actions violated the 1st tradition (I was acting to protect the common welfare and safety of the group and that outweighed the personal interests of myself or the guy who confessed to beating the shit out of his wife/daughter), or the 2nd (this wasn't a situation which called for or allowed time for a group conscience...; but I did consult will several of the oldtimers of the group before doing what I did...), or the 3rd (not sure where you're seeing a 3rd tradition issue here --- so I can't comment) or the 5th (I also don't think that this is a primary purpose issue. The fact that there is a primary purpose implies that there are other, albeit less important, purposes of the group. One of those is to create a safe place for people to get and stay sober. As I mentioned, there were at least 4 people in that meeting who had been abused as children and the apparent "silence" of the group in response to what was disclosed created a strong likelihood that these folks would no longer feel safe in that group.).

The Traditions, by the way, are referring to "group behavior and actions" --- they are not meant to be determinative in what an individual might or might do as a part of their own program or life.

My opinion, of course. (10th Tradition) Which reminds me, you refer to the inappropriateness of "meddling" into outside issues.... The 10th tradition says that "AA has no opinion on outside issues..." As an individual member of AA, all I have about "inside" issues is opinions. True for you also. Suppose it's true for God too....

Take care!

Mike L., aka Also Not God