Sunday, May 22, 2011

Our Calling

For th last two months I've been running on all cylinders in all areas of my life. Work has been consuming me with multiple major projects, any one of which could have occupied me and my staff for a full year. My family is expanding and changing on what seems to be a daily basis: youngest daughter getting married next month, first grandchild reaching her six month milestone with an infectious smile, a second grandchild (my son's) due before end of year.  My recovery program has continued to escalate, more sponsees than I feel comfortable with, but for now, haven't been willing to say no when someone asks (primarily because I could always give up a meeting or two if needed since I still go to 10 or more meetings a week).

But in the last two months or so, I was presented with some challenges with one of my sponsees that kept me "just before" being overwhelmed at almost a constant state of affairs.  But, as suggested by one of my mentors in AA, I needed to simply take things one whelm at a time --- otherwise, I'd get overwhelmed!  The challenge came with the guy who first asked me to be his sponsor over five and a half years ago: late last year he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and he successfully walked through all the fears that came with that diagnosis and had the surgery to remove his prostate early this year.  During his two month recovery at home, it seemed like his anxiety levels began to gradually increase -- I thought due to having too much time on his hands and not being used to that.  I suggested going to more meetings than he was used to and he did.  Nevertheless, he had something sort of blindside him in February and as a result of that, his mental health began to degrade on a daily basis and within a few weeks I had to have him committed to a psyche hospital because he was becoming a danger to himself.  After a harrowing several weeks in and out of these mental health hospitals, he's now back at home and beginning an intensive outpatient program to get his feet back on the ground.  Miraculously, through all of this, he's stayed sober.  Taking a drink didn't cross his mind: taking his life did.

Through all of that, I was doing everything I could to help him walk through this challenge.  I broke down and met with my sponsor about half way through the process and asked him for feedback in terms of setting boundaries, but also with dealing with the certainty that I needed to do everything within my power to help my friend.  That meeting was tremendously helpful.  He listened, asked a few insightful questions (he's a lawyer, so this is one of his great strengths!) and then shared a story with me that he'd never shared with anyone else: he'd walked through something very similar to what I was dealing with now and he shared with me how he approached his challenge.  He shared the story not to suggest that I needed to do what he did, but rather, just because his story was all he could offer me.  I could take what seemed to work for me and leave the rest...  I walked away with a greater sense of peace about what I was doing and that it was right for me.

Within a day or so of that meeting with my sponsor, I was reading a book by David Richo called "The Five Things We Cannot Change" and at the beginning of the section I was reading, Richo quoted something from George Bernard Shaw called "The Calling":
This is the true joy in living: being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish, little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world is not devoting itself to making you happy!
This quote hit me like a ton of bricks!  I reminded me of the chapter on the 12th Step in the 12x12 wherein it states in very first paragraph that "the theme of the twelfth step is the joy of living" and then restates slightly differently amd even more powerfully in the very last paragraph of  that same chapter, "the theme of the twelfth step is the joy of good living."  Shaw was saying essentially the same thing: the joy of living comes by way of "being used for a purpose" (for me, helping other suffering alcoholics) and knowing that that purpose is a "mighty one"; that this service is done without much regard for prudence or balance, but rather, by throwing ones self into service without regard to personal hardship or reward.    That in doing this, we obtain true joy.

I committed this quote to memory over the next day or so and have repeated it to myself several times a day during my commute to/from work.  It always fills me with renewed strength and commitment to doing what I've been called to do: help other suffering alcoholics.  My recovery has taken on a renewed vitality and I don't care to question its source.

As things seem to be settling down a little now, I'm glad to get back to some blogging which is one of the things I've had to cut back on over the last couple of months.  Just not enough hours in the day.

Take care!

Mike L.

6 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Wow I am even more appreciative of your comment now I know how busy you have been lately Mike :) Great quote. That was a tough situation. sounds very demanding. I only have one sponsee at the moment, but that could be due to the fact that I wait for people to ask me and I make no attempt to ? sell the idea of me sponsoring them. Its my way of practicing 'attraction not promotion'. as a result only a few brave souls pursue me. I ask them all for coffee and give them my number, but many have sponsors by the time they meet me. Others never get round to getting any sponsors so dont ask me or anyone else :)
Yes its tricky knowing what is the right amount of service. I heard something recently which made me think, and I am still in the process of figuring it out. It goes 'If you are not showing up for yourself, you have no business showing up for other people'. The same speaker said you much give from your 'overflow' as opposed to your ? core reserves, or something, which makes sense as well to me. I can (if I want) make serving the needs f my own life a 'mighty purpose' as i truly believe that I can only do that well if I am fairly egoless and objective. Most either are self obsessed or thoughtless about what is best for oneself. Mostly bad habits. Its very hard to be comfortable in my own company without being self obsessed or just caught up in habits. What I mean is that its as hard to help myself well as it is to help others well. If anything it is harder to be objective with my own stuff. well as you can tell I'm still figuring this out :) but really I just wanted to say thanks for your lovely comment Mike as i found it really helpful :) and I hope your life is less of a blur in the near future :)

The Turning Point said...

Great to be back, Great to click in and find you've posted. Great to see we're reading the same book,(5 Things by Richo. I've been up to my ears also. Never missed my meetings though. The other great news is I received the printer's proof of my book. Joyous & Free In Spite of Myself.It's about the first five years of recovery.My pen name is James Frederick per AA Central Office
direction.Congrats granddad. I just came back from grandparent day in Nashville.Happy to "talk" to you again. I'll be back.
Jim

The Turning Point said...

After reading your post the second time (I skimmed it the first time and was so full of myself and receiving the printers proof of my book) I agree. If you're seeking to do God's will and not yours you respond to whoever and whatever He places in your life that day. The trick for me is to remember the results or the outcomes are not up to me and if I'm honest about my intent and motive I came rely on His grace and the help to see it through. Beside whenever someone calls on me I believe that its God's way of sending me the help I need. And God knows I need all the help I can get. With a post like this I know why I miss hearing from you.

Anonymous said...

good post mike. I personally find it difficult staying in touch with myself when helping others, but I am in al-anon so this is a more common problem for us. There is someone I know who is in al-anon who is also an old time member of AA. I watch how he is there for us, in a manner that is less common in al-anon. It is a different way, perhaps more common in AA, he seems to serve and trust that he will be taken care of in that. He is a true example for me as an al-anon, that it not all about focus on maintaining integrity of self. Choosing to be a link in the chain seems to offer some protection from burnout, though I guess anything, including service can be done in a more or less dysfunctional way. I read a book called The Anonymous Disciple, about an old alcholic jesuit priest. The example of the priest in that book has stayed with me. Something of the nature of when we are seeking to do go where we are needed, as in 'pick up your cross and follow me', there is nowhere we cannot go safely. This is a good counterbalance to a focus on boundaries and avoiding caretaking. I suspect the truth is not either method, but both. But it is very inspiring to me to see the AA focus on serving, without over thought of self, though everything needs its balance. Chris H

Just J said...

I have not read your blog in a very long time but the quote here resonated with me. Although as recovering alcoholics we seem to pride ourselves on our ability to let go of control and our self-centeredness. Yet the quote speaks, if you'll forgive my synthesis, of the "joy of good living" as being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty purpose.

There are times when I feel I'm being used for a purpose, but is it mighty? Do I recognize it? Am I aware of it? Alternatively, I feel disconnected from God and wonder whether he has a purpose from me and whether he cares for me to have any sort of business with knowledge of it. As one member says, "Just when you think that you're in the 'zone' you just left it."

I would like to know my purpose, and for it to be mighty, and for it to be acceptable by me. It seems too much to ask. But without this angle, what would be the value of "faith" and "more will be revealed"?

I do know that I've been experiencing some rough times and it's hard to see the God in it, as another member often said. That said, life is as good as it's ever been, I'm still sober, and I can honestly say today that everything I have ever wanted in life I have received by showing up and not drinking one day at a time.

I would love to have someone to sponsor. Your 'whelms' seem pretty "high quality" to me.

Cheers!

Mike L. said...

J--

All but maybe one or two of my sponsees have approached me to ask if I would sponsor them. They heard something that I'd said in a meeting that resonated with them or gave them the sense that I could be helpful to them in their recovery. Usually, it was something "off the beaten path" in what I shared that attracted them to me. I have no desire in speaking things that I truly don't believe, nor do I try to fit in with what is taken to be the norm. AA has given me the freedom to be myself, to hold my own beliefs and to share my own truth as I see it at the time. I'm not giving that up for safety sake.

I also don't have a set formula for what path someone should take in their recovery. I often start out the relationship by saying that they should not try to mimic my program or what I do to stay sober: doing what I do might very well get them drunk or dead or divorced. They will need to find their own path. All I try to do is listen as well as I can without prejudgment or canned answers. And then, when the time seems right, I start telling stories. The story is the shortest distance between ourselves and the truth.

Lastly, I'd suggest not looking for spondees. Look for suffering alcoholics and reach out to them and try to do anything you can to help them. Shake their hand before or after a meeting. Thank them for sharing what they did and let them know how it helped you. Ask them how their day is going and if they say "Fine..." ask them what Dr. Earle asked me: "You wouldn't lie to an old man like me, would you?" I'll never forget that question. I remember that I laughed (what healing was contained in the laugh I didn't realize for years to come!) and said, "Well, yes! I would!". That was the beginning of our 14 month love affair at the deepest of levels of spirit and emotion.

Take care J!

Mike