Thursday, February 7, 2008

Will AA ever come to mean "Addicts Anonymous"?

Dr. Earle once wrote that he believed that some day, not sure how far off in the future he was thinking, but that one day AA would come to mean "Addicts Anonymous" instead of Alcoholics Anonymous. Knowing both the author of that statement and the context of this statement, I know that this prediction was one of hope rather than regret or disappointment. He thought that not only was it an inevitable evolution, it was a desirable one.


FYI: If you'd like to express your opinion via a "Poll", I've set one up over to the right side of this blog... You've got four options: Yes (and it's good or bad) and No (and it's good or bad). You're also free to express your comments on this topic by clicking on the, that's right, the "Comments" link at the bottom of the post....

Personally (and everything thing here is personally!), I agree with this sentiment or view.

While I am one of the few AAs I know with 6 years sobriety who "only" abused alcohol and not other drugs, I have no question that my disease is one that applies to any mind altering substance.

I suspect that while some members of AA have the desire to keep AA "pure" and separate from NA, I strongly suspect that all of them would not like to have a member of AA secretarying or chairing a meeting of AA while admitting that they actively use and abuse pot, heroin or some other drug. By the way, when I say "other drug" I do that consciously to indicate that alcohol "is" a drug. In that regard, I like NA literature's declaration that alcohol is a drug and that they don't particularly care what drug an addict uses or is addicted to, a drug is a drug.

Around here where I go to meetings, it appears by people's talk and their non-reaction to people expressing the reality of those "other" (not alcohol) drugs in their stories or shares, but I suspect most would try to "toe the line" if forced to give an opinion about how AA should evolve on this issue. There'd be immediate references to "singleness of purpose" (dealing with addiction is good for me) and/or "primary purpose" (which always makes me wonder what AA's secondary purpose is....and why can't it be the broader scope of "addiction" rather than just the single and narrow scope of alcoholic addiction?) and it would eventually degenerate into a never ending argument.

Which is why I think we're just in the initial and necessary stage of this inevitable evolution of this disorganized organization.

Anyway, I was feeling a little bored and thought this post might generate some thinking...

Take care.

Mike

No comments: