Friday, March 14, 2008

The AA Kit of Spiritual Tools: Hey, It's Empty!!

In one of my favorite meetings the other night, one of my friends mentioned that even with double digit sobriety, he's finding himself struggling through a end-of-relationship issue that simply not going away even though he's using all of the tools he's acquired over the years in sobriety and a very active strong AA program.

He's exercising and eating well (remembering the H.A.L.T. trick...). He's meeting with his sponsor and still actively sponsoring other recovering alcoholics. He's got a service commitment. He's worked the steps, multiple times. He goes to quite a few meetings every week and participates in those meetings, both in terms of sharing what's going on in his life (at least in general, meeting-level terms) and trying to be helpful to others in the meetings, especially the newcomer. He's journaling and meditating on a regular basis.

As he was sharing, I remembered another member once passing on a story that he heard from someone else, which essentially said that when we begin our recovery process, we're all given a toolkit for spiritual tools and as we progress, we'll pickup more and more tools which can be used and/or saved for future use. The tale went that every one of us will eventually reach a point in our sobriety where something "bad" happens and we look into our AA toolkit looking for a tool and are terrified to discover that there are no tools in the kit! When that happens, according to this AA folktale, don't panic because in every AA certified toolkit is a special note taped to the bottom of the kit and it reads, "You need more tools!". Before I could share this with the group, my friend already discovered what he needed to do: start looking for more tools. He's good at reading my mind.

The tools can certainly include the principles we acquire through working the steps, but they can also be sayings or slogans (i.e., One Day at a Time, Take it Easy, etc.). H.A.L.T. can be a very useful assessment tool when feeling off the beam: Am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely and/or Tired? If so, take care of those deficiencies and you'll be less "thirsty" for that first drink. Sometimes, I hear great lines in meetings and they get filed away as tools which I can either use or share with others. For instance, one old guy around here sometimes says, "Live life one whelm at a time! If you try to juggle too many whelms, you'll get overwhelmed!".

Other woman told me her favorite line was one that she stole from her sponsor and it was "I got sober at the corner of Grace and Willingness!" I love that line. I remember when I heard her share it at a meeting, that while I loved it, it wasn't where I got sober. I knew my sobriety was a gift, so I certainly did get sober somewhere on Grace Street, but it was certainly not on the corner of Grace and Willingness. "Where was it?" began percolate in my brain.

After a couple of weeks, I saw her again and I ran up to her and reminded her about her favorite line and how much I like it----but that I'd been struggling over the last couple of weeks to discover "where" I got sober and I finally figured it out. It was at the corner of Grace and Hopelessness! About a half block down from Grace and Willingness. For me, the gift of sobriety came to me the morning I woke up and accepted the hopelessness and futility of trying to be someone other than who I was. And I was, for better or worse, an alcoholic. And instead of fighting that, I needed to go with the flow and start doing what my son was doing.... And there, yessireee, was Willingness. Yet another spiritual tool.

Take care!

Mike

7 comments:

boleo said...

You wrote about a note that said
"you need more tools".

I have tried working the steps forwards and backwards and found there are only 3 tools needed for recovery that work under all circumstances:
Humility, Serenity and benevolence.

Everything else is what Chris R. would call "outside issues".

boleo said...

I have worked the 12 steps forward and backwards. There are only 3 tools that I need:
1. Humility (Step 10)
2. Serenity (Step 11)
3. Benevolence (Step 12)

Anonymous said...

All of this is beautiful stuff but not AA. It never ceases to amaze how often and how many try to change and modify the simplicity of AA with their "Own Opinions". To see people recover in AA then get bored with the simple and frugal AA bores many and often need to fill the spiritual hole with other wonderful things that rightfully and properly enrich thier lives.
However they make the mistake to atribute this extra gifts as the AA program of recovery as oposed to just as benefit from being sober ergo the gift of AA they think, and just because they are still practicing AA they seemingly blend in their newly recovered minds.
Bill W. nd Dr. Bob suggested to all of us to enrich our spiritual life and seek and developp it: go back to church as an example.
AA is Simple believeing, trusting and relying on a Higher Power (God) he is the one that removes our obsesion when from our free volition chose to do few steps. We don't earn sobriety, we don't work our way to sobriety, if we could we would have done it long ago (hundreds of years ago)
One drunk talking to another drunk. Keep it simple.
Al Coholic

Mike L. said...

Al Coholic just posted his "Opinion" about what AA is and isn't and that doesn't bother me a tad. I sometimes say about the 10th Tradition that AA doesn't have opinions about outside issues, but AAs ONLY have opinions about inside (AA) issues! Other people's opinions about AA are none of my business or concern.

But that said, I did notice that it got a little under my skin (ego) when he had the gall to tell me what I'd written was "not AA". True, nothing I've written is or purports to "be" AA. This blog is about "my" Recovery, not anyone else's recovery. Although a substantial amount of the content is "about AA", it's about my experience of the organization and program and people of AA that I've come across over the last 7 years or so. So, technically, Al Coholic was absolutely correct in his statement that what I've written is "not AA."

So if I agree with this person, why did it get under my skin? I think it was that this person dug under the superficial skin that I construct around me to prevent others from getting too close to the real me: this superficial skin is referred to in AA (and elsewhere) as the ego. What Chuck C. defined as "The conscious feeling of being separate from....others, God, things, myself, etc."

Now that I understand that, this anonymous post doesn't seem to be under my skin anymore. The imaginary skin and hurt just went away. I'm content to be me and to let Al Coholic be their self. This isn't AA, it's me.

Take care!

Mike L.

Anonymous said...

MikeL, just found your blog while googling for the "spiritual Tools of AA". Thank you for this, God bless. Sincerely, a struggling alcoholic, MikeR

James F said...

I am finding through working with others that the AA Big Book gives clear suggested tools an alcoholic can use to keep the reprieve going. Certainly steps 10 and 11 are critical, but I take two important questions from step five and use every day. Why am I angry? and Why do I have fear? Seeking answers to these important questions is the best form of practice I have found which allows God to transform my thinking. When I am disturbed there is sonething wrong with me. Now that is an axiom which bears consideration. These two questions help me determine the root of the disturbance.

Practice these principles in all our affairs. I must take this tool kit given me and practice the use of them daily.

God Bless and share the message. Thanks Mike.

James F

Anonymous said...

I just came from a meeting tonight and our topic came from the daily reflections Feb 15th about the promises "will work if we work for them"

It inspired me to ask what "tools' were in other peoples tool kit. In what ways did that "work it" for their promises. And I was hoping for practical application answers, not just the same old - go to meetings, pray about it, call your sponsor, read the big book, serenity prayer.

Those are all good....But if my hair is on fire about something what do I do RIGHT THEN. I and I have some nuggets I use:
Do the NEXT right thing (not worry about the next 50 things, just the next one)
Serenity prayer broken down - can I change it? yes or no? if yes, then change it. If not move on to step two - what can I change? And do that. the prayer is to know which is which Doing is the action that follows the prayer.

I found this blog and really enjoyed reading it. Thank you
I wish there were more "Practical application" on what the step look like in action
"How to" of putting them into practice in real daily living.

Sometimes I need it broken down because my mind races ahead too quick to the destruction or over analyzes it to death.

How can I remember in the heat of the moment to stop and breathe.

I have been sober nearly 15 years and I have SOMME answers but always looking for more and I do not hear enough of them laid out for the newcomer, or those with a couple of days

Thanks again

David K.