Sunday, December 13, 2009

Recovery and Relationships

Without question, the most challenging arena for me in terms of living out my recovery is in the context of relationships, especially the relationship with my wife of 28+ years.  In one of my regular meetings, there's a statement made in the meeting format that after the meeting "loitering is not tolerated" -- I used to find that somewhat offensive and offputting: but eventually I took it to be a clear message that this meeting room is not a home, it's a place of respit.  A resting place where we recharge our batteries -- but it's temporary.  It's not where we live.

Where I live is at home with my wife and that's where the rubber meets the road, as it were,in terms of me and my recovery.  Recently, I've been reading another book by David Richo called "How to be an Adult in Relationships (The Five Keys to Mindful Loving)".  It's a great book.  It must be frustrating for my wife though, seeing me read this book and me, at least it seems to me, having so little to show for it.  We are probably in the best shape we've ever been in though, so I don't want to misrepresent the quality of our relationship.  It's great.  But I'm always wanting it to be better...  Think we both share that hope.

One thing that really hit me though yesterday is that Richo talks about how in some relationships one partner will have a basic fear of abandonment and the other partner will have a fear of engulfment.  For us, my wife is the one who seems primarily experiencing a fear of abandonment over the years and I am the one who seems to have the polar opposite fear of being engulfed.  Richo recommends what he calls the "Triple-A Approach to Fear:  Admit, Accept and Act As If...  We first need to admit that we have these particular fears and then we need to accept these fears.  Lastly, he talks about acting as if....  And this paragraph hit me to my core.

"Act as if you have no fear.  If you fear abandonment, risk allowing the other to stay away one minute more than you can stand.  Cling one minute less than you feel you need to.  If you fear engulfment, allow the other to get one inch closer than you can stand.  Stay away one minute less than you feel you need to.  By acting in these ways, you are playing with your pain, a healing device too often neglected by those of us who take things too seriously."
This paragraph screamed out at me with its beauty and truth.  I've commited it to memory and have been reciting it again and again during my day today.  I really like the idea of "playing with my pain"  -- I've spent much effort in the past trying to avoid and medicate pain.  It was as though there was something wrong with pain.  And emotional pain, in particular, was something to be avoided at all costs.  Richo has got me looking at it differently though: pain is communicating information to me and I need to listen carefully and with reverence.  I needn't run from it.  I can keep my eyes and all my senses wide open.

Take care while you play with your pain!

Mike L.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This morning, I awoke early, did some Al-Anon reading, then posted a note on my blog having to do with pain. And then I read your post from last night--about pain.
I'll be heading to the bookstore this afternoon to look for David Richo's work.
Thanks, Mike.

Me said...

Mike, where are you? I miss your posts!!

Mike L. said...

I'm here. Got wrapped up during the holidays with many different commitments and the blogging got pushed to the background for a month. Thanks for noticing my absence!! Without further ado, let me try to get back into the practice of more frequent blogging.

Mike L.

Shannon P said...

I recently listened to a Pema Chodron retreat, "Coming Closer to Ourselves" and she often discusses pain, fear, and being uncomfortable...and just sitting with those feelings(her own version of "playing" i think). She spoke at length about our need to run from or get rid of these feelings...sometimes by yelling, hitting, medicating, etc. But what would happen if we did nothing, just sat and felt it all? That really struck me...to just experience the feelings and not try to change them, to not label them.
I look forward to Richo's suggestions...will be adding them to my toolbox ;)
As always, thank you for sharing your experiences...your stories :)

John Harris said...

Glad to have read this. Taking on a playful approach to pain invites an easing. On the other hand, for me, getting paralyzed by fear makes me contract and when I contract my actions, behaviors and feelings become agitated and rigid. My perspective contracts, I can't see the forest for the trees. To give pain and fear, feeling engulfed and and feeling abandonment, one minute seems doable. Thanks for the great post Mike L!

Mike L. said...

John, I think is where developing and maintaining new healthy habits comes in to replace our old(ish) unhealthy and fearful habits.

Gratitude lists, Grin Therapy, Meditation, Meetings, Sharing what’s really going on with another person (esp. a sponsor), Step work, etc. All great additions to our spiritual toolkit!