Monday, August 17, 2009

Three Most Important Days for the Recoverying Alcoholic

When I begin sponsoring someone, I always ask them for their "Day Zero" date. It's the first day in their recovery: the day they didn't put any more alcohol or other drugs into their system. A Day Zero begins just after midnight (technically, 00:00:01 or 12:00:01 o'clock) and ends, assuming no alcohol/drugs ingested that day, at midnight. Day Zero is one of the most most important days in a recovering alcoholic's life.

Another very important day is "Day One" which most people refer to as the day they "got" sober. Interestingly enough, Day Zero and Day One will equal each other by the end of the day. I always enter a "Day Zero" event in my Outlook calendar for each of my sponsees, setting that event to remind me each month about this milestone so that I can celebrate with them when that happens. If it doesn't, I just hope to create a new one when that happens.

The last day of most importance for the recovering alcoholic? Today. Ultimately, it's the most important day for me. Today. Full of possibilities. Day Zero and Day One are both still extremely important to me, because without them, I would have all the possibilities before me now. I'd be back in the darkness, without hope.

Take care, Today!

Mike L.

No comments: