Thursday, May 27, 2010

AA Didn't Work for Him... Really?

I was listening to someone's chair/story the other day and he mentioned that before getting sober he once spent 5 years as a member of Synanon, founded by someone who'd once tried AA but found it didn't work for him.  During the discussion period afterward, someone shared that this Synanon founder eventually got drunk and died.  People laughed.  I admit that I joined them, chuckling by impulse, but something felt odd about laughing at someone's dying from this disease and also about their claim that AA didn't work for them.  The presumption seems to be that when people claim that AA didn't work for them, these people weren't ready or weren't willing to do what it takes for this program to work.  If AA doesn't work, it's not AA's fault.

I'm not sure that's always the case.  Does AA not work for some people?  Sure!  But why?  I've been mulling this over for awhile now and I want to share some of my thoughts on this topic. 

First, I don't think "AA" fails anyone.  AA is an organization and doesn't have some separate personal existence or identify that any one person can "experience" by walking into any particular meeting or by talking to any particular member of AA.  Whatever a meeting or member might do or say in terms of conveying the AA message (whatever that is...) to an interested non-member will never represent AA in it's entirety or completeness.  It will always fall short of the ideal that we each might have in mind when we think of AA in all its potential and beauty. 

To the extent that an incomplete or distorted message of recovery gets conveyed to the newcomer, that's not a failing of AA.  It's an unavoidable failing of that particular meeting or member of AA.  Unfortunately, far too many (one would be too many...) people experience such incomplete or poorly conveyed message of recovery by a group or individual.  We're not perfect, as a group or as individual members of AA.

Luckily for me, when I walked into my first meeting, I was just willing and desperate enough to overcome some of the defects/flaws in the messages being conveyed to me, intentionally or not, when I first started coming to AA meetings over 8 years ago.  And as I listen to or read stories from others, members or not, who had bad experiences when they first tried AA, I'm glad that I didn't face some of the intellectual hurdles others had to overcome in order to make it all the way into this weird organization called Alcoholics Anonymous. 

All that said, I don't want to become complacent and just trust that we're doing good enough for those who are willing and desperate enough to overcome all obstacles to giving AA a chance at providing a solution for suffering alcoholics.  It seems incumbant for us all to try to do everything we can to remove any obstacles to a suffering alcoholic's recovery as possible, to take care with our words and message so that we give as many people as possible an ability to find a solution like we have here in AA.  That's not to say that we try to become all things to all people: but it is to say that we should always strive to reach out to more people and to be more effective at conveying the AA message of recovery.

Secondly, I think that given the weirdness of this particular organization, where there is no Pope or ultimate authority or rigid structure/doctrine, the message conveyed to the newcomer will always include something of a mixed bag of fruit and nuts.  I personally think that there's as many ways to work this AA program as there are members of AA.  True, many might strongly disagree with that opinion of mine, but that really only proves my point because all of us who disagree and agree with that statement are still equal and full-fledged voting members of AA even though we have strong differences of opinions on pretty important inside issues.

These two points may appear contradictory: we need to do more and we will always fall short.  But that's not the only paradox I've found in my recovery or in the AA progam.  I'm sure it won't be the last either.  I'm grateful that AA has worked for me and has given me a framework through which I've been able to fashion a way of sober living that works just right for this alcoholic.

Take care!

Mike L.

3 comments:

Drunk said...

Great, Ive always been scared of the God component as I identify as atheist.

The Turning Point said...

The only thing I need to keep in mind is that I have my sobriety and I am responsible for sharing it with others. Sharing is the operative word for me. I can offer it. It is up to them to take it. Whether they do of don't is up to them.
I spent the last twenty years of my life professionally counseling and since sponsoring only those(hundreds) who have relapsed and really feel there is no hope for them. The most damaging message they received was from meetings accusing them of 'not praying enough,not wanting to be sober bad enough.
I have found most are "dying" to get it.
good post.
I welcome them with open arms and leave the judging to HP.

Jim

McGowdog said...

Nice post. It caught my eye.

I've been "listening" to our A.A. detractors, or as I call them, "anti/XAers".

They seem to qualify as ex-A.A. experts and have many beefs with the A.A. program. You brought up one such beef; that we in A.A. claim that the A.A. program never fails anyone and if someone drinks, it's because they didn't do the program right and if they did do all 12 steps, then they must have missed something. If they die then the A.A.s sit back and morbidly mock the guy as one who couldn't get it and shout, "But for the grace of God there go I!"

If someone gets sober without A.A., they claim we then go with the "Well he/she must have not been a real alcoholic" card.

Maybe this is true. Some in A.A. may do this.

I'll never be one. A.A. worked and is working for me. What can I say? Not all the bad stuff some of our detractors say.

I'll show you what I did. This is really all I can do. If it works for you, great. If not, try something else. I can help you no further. Maybe find someone else to help you.