Sunday, May 30, 2010

I'm not ready yet....

I read a great little story the other day that shed a lot of light on some uncertainty and doubt over my own ability to sponsor others.  Or at least do that well.

The story was about a therapist who was walking home one day when he was acosted by a guy who walked up to the therapist asking if he knew where a certain street was located.  The therapist replied, "Yes, just go down the street here and turn left at the first intersection."  The stranger seemed to understand the directions, so the therapist continued toward his home.  At one point, the therapist looked back and saw that the stranger was going in the opposite direction than he'd directed him.  The therapist called out, "Hey!  You're going in the wrong direction!"

The stranger turned around and yelled back, "Yes, I know!  I'm not ready to go there yet!"

So true!  I rarely (if ever) find myself in a position where I know, without uncertainty, what a sponsee or other friend in recovery may need to go or what they should do.  There are times where I sense that what might good, better or best for the other person and I will then share that as a suggestion which might be worth their consideration. 

That's all well and good.  I just need to learn how to let it go at that point and detach myself from whatever it is the other person chooses to do.  That's their issue and it has nothing to do with me.  Even the suggestion that the other should consider not drinking --- the truth of the matter is that some people are simply not ready to go there yet.

When they are ready, I can try to be there for them with my hand extended.

Take care!

Mike L.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! How are you? I’ve been thinking about blogging and celebrity and anonymity ( http://stark-raving-sober.blogspot.com/2010/06/online-and-celebrity-anonymity-what.html ) and I’d love to hear your opinion.

Also, I'd never heard of Synanon - will have to learn more about it.

Thanks!

So-and-so