Monday, May 10, 2010

Why Communal Prayer Seems Inappropriate Within AA Meetings

I was at a meeting Saturday morning when someone announced to the group that at the request of one of the members, the group was going to go through a group conscience process concerning a request by one of the members to change the meeting format such that the customary closing of the meeting would no longer include praying the Lord's Prayer and that we would begin using the Serenity Prayer instead.  Although the meeting was a Step meeting (and that week we were reading the 8th Step from the 12x12...), several people during the meeting shared their thoughts and opinions about the issue of the Lord's Prayer, most seemed against changing the format and gave various rationales for keeping things as they were. 

I wasn't surprised by the trend given my sense that AAs don't like change and the only thing they dislike more than change is controversy or differences of opinion.  In fact, my only surprise was my ability to not talk about this issue until towards the end of the meeting.  I have strong feelings about this issue.  Not just about the Lord's Prayer, but any communal prayer in the context of an AA meeting.  I think it's wrong. 

I think it causes harm, most particularly with the newcomer who hears one thing in our literature and format, but another thing quite the contrary in our actions.  In the literature, we tell the newcomer that they don't have to believe in God to get or stay sober, that it's a purely personal decision for them to investigate for themselves and that they were completely free to define their "higher power" in any way they chose.   Blah, blah, blah.  And then, at the end of most meetings, the leader stands up and asks us to join him in closing the meeting with the Lord's Prayer.  The people then stand, join hands in apparent solidarity and say this Christian prayer together.  So much for a higher power of our own understanding.

To be clear, I am not against prayer.  I pray frequently.  I often use other people's prayers as a jumping off point for my own prayer.  I memorize many prayers that I've found to express some deep resonating truth to me and recite them aloud as I drive to/from work---eventually modifying those prayers so that they become more "my" prayer and less someone else's prayer.  Communal prayer though seems appropriate only in a religious community where there is a shared or common faith.  Stealing such a communal prayer from any community, which is a strong AA tradition by the way!, seems a bad idea for AA (at least when we only steal prayers from one of the available religious traditions in the world).

The use of sectarian prayers, which includes the AA favorites of The Lord's Prayer, The Serenity Prayer and St. Francis (or Eleventh Step) Prayer, in an AA meeting expresses the reasonable interpretation or mistaken belief that we "in the circle and holding hands" are a part of that Christian or Judeo-Christian sect and that all our words, spoken or written to the contrary, were just meaningless words.

Am I going to bring about change in AA's long practice?  I doubt it -- at least nothing substantial or quick.  I share my thoughts on this inside issue whenever I think that I can be helpful, especially for someone who is new to this weird organization called AA.  I do it with a sense of humor and, as best I can, with humility.  Sometimes, I speak loudest by simply doing what I've done consistently for the last six or seven years: when a group is going about doing a communal prayer, I stand and join in the circle and I do nothing other than listen.  Sometimes I pray silently.  Sometimes I just observe others in the circle. 

Sometimes, especially during the Serenity Prayer, I join the others by inserting my own silent words inbetween theirs:  When they say, "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change..." -- I say to myself:  "That would be you and much else out there!"  Then, when they continue with, "Courage to change the things I can..." -- I say to myself, "That would be me and my attitudes!"  And as they close with "And the wisdom to know the difference." -- I say to myself, "Yes, please!"

If the secretary asks me to take the group out with a prayer of my choice, I say the word "God?" with a question mark and then stop.  The group usually doesn't notice that I just asked a question or plea toward God and they assume that the prayer of my choice is the Serenity Prayer.  It isn't.  The prayer of my choice is the word God followed by a question mark.  That's it.

I believe one of AA's strongest and longest held traditions is the tradition of stealing prayers from other traditions and making them their own.  We've taken great liberties with massaging these prayers of others to suit our own circumstance.  I love people who when the Lord's Prayer is being prayed, change the word "name" to "names" -- those folks are aware of everything I've been saying in this blog tonite.  Bless them! 

I also noticed this last weekend when I was at my favorite Step Meeting that at the end of the chapter on Step 12, it closes with a different version of the Serenity Prayer than the one I hear prayed in AA meetings or placed on placards in meeting rooms.  The version of the Serenity Prayer in the 12x12 is sometimes referred to as "The We Version of the Serenity Prayer" -- it isn't prayed in the 1st person.  It's prayed together with others:  God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change..."

Someday, I'll make a motion at a business meeting that we take that version of the Serenity Prayer and, with  a few changes, begin to use it to begin and close that meeting:  the motion would be to begin using the new AA version of the Serenity Prayer:
Higher Power grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change; courage to change the things we can; wisdom to know the difference and love to do the next kind thing.
Higher Power gives everyone the ability to address this prayer to whatever they have come to hold as their higher power: whether that be some sort of personal, localized God, or not.  It could mean a door knob.  It could be Truth.  It could be Not God.  It could be the group itself.  And, of course, this closing prayer would be purely optional to those who would like to participate.  Anyone should feel perfectly free to not participate without separating themselves from the group or from AA.

Of course, for me to do that, I'd have to attend a business meeting.  Not sure I'm that sober yet!  ;-}

Take care!

Mike L.

11 comments:

The Turning Point said...

After getting my sobriety at a predominantly Catholic time ("61 and epidemic of Irish virus time) in the Chicago area AA held tight to the reference to God as a Higher Power so as not to exclude anyone and definitely to keep it open to all, no matter what our understanding was of this HP. I chaired a meeting at noon today (Volunteer state)were I as usual referred to my Higher Power as I understand that HP.
After attending years of meetings throughout the states and abroad I still can't get use to the Southern idea that this somehow is a Christian movement and the many references to Jesus and the Bible. Incidentally here in the south as a Catholic I am not considered by most to be a Christian. Bad AA because I use damn, hell and other four letter words from time to time.
I agree, I like the "us & we" versions of the SP especially in our couples anonymous group.
Lengthy but I agree with you.

Jim

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Agreed.
They dont do the lords prayer at the end of meetings in the uk. i always thought it was an Americanism. We just do the serenity prayer at the end. My fave old timer used to preface the serenity prayer by saying 'Would you like to join me in the SP using the word god as you do or don't understand him" so thats what i say if asked to lead the SP at the end. He never banged on about his religion even though he was a hearfelt Christian. I just don't remember him ever mentioning religion except to show how religion was not a requirement of the steps. Just a power greater than oneself in step 2, which could be the AA group, or the power of AA as a whole. Meaning whatever power greater than you that makes sense to you.

McGowdog said...

I could care less whay y'all do in England or in the south or in the north. At my A.A. group, we say the Lord's Prayer. We know what it means, word for word, and we like it.

Freedom from religion is one thing. Freedom of religion is something too.

If you can't plug your concept of "Higher Power" into the word "God", too bad for you.

I don't believe that "GOD" revealed Himself/Herself/Itself in the book, so you won't hear me claiming the Carpenter's name in an A.A. meeting. I have an open mind with regards to God. Do you?

BTR Equipment Services said...

AA's 5th Tradition: Each group has but one primary purpose, to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.

So there you have it. That is what I attempt to do at every meeting. Knowing the the Lords Prayer carries controversy with it and the Serenity Prayer does not, and also knowing that the Lords Prayer is NOT in the AA conference approved AA literature and the Serenity Prayer is, I only use, recite the Serenity Prayer, simple as that.

P Gomez said...

The comment that somehoe prayer has nothing to do with recovery is preposterous. The Big Book is full of prayers ( to God, with a capital G). Dr Bobs Rx for recovery is 'Trust God, clean house, help others'. So if you want to stay sober: Dont drink, pray and trust God, get a sponsor, work the steps, get a home group and do setvice. If you want self esteem, do esteemable acts. PG3 South Miami, Fl.

Mike L. said...

I'm not sure who said prayer has nothing to do with recovery. I don't think I ever did. Prayer has much to do with my recovery. So does meditation. All I'm saying is that I don't believe COMMUNAL prayer, of any flavor or denomination has a place in AA meetings, primarily due to its potential harmful effect on the newcomer and its inconsistency with the idea that a HP is a personal and individual issue for each of us. In that sense it's an outside issue.

So I choose to remain silent during such activities and speak my heart whenever I think the practice might be causing harm.

Take care!

Mike

debi menescus said...

As a newcomer who is struggling greatly with the Christianity woven throughout AA where I live, who is frequently referred to as Atheist and patted on the head with a reassuring "you'll get it" simply because my spirituality has nothing to do with a father-god, I am very grateful to have found this article. THANK YOU.

debi menescus said...

As a newcomer who is struggling greatly with the Christianity woven throughout AA where I live, who is frequently referred to as Atheist and patted on the head with a reassuring "you'll get it" simply because my spirituality has nothing to do with a father-god, I am very grateful to have found this article. THANK YOU.

Mike L. said...

I apologize for my delay in publishing your comment on the blog about my thoughts on communal prayer in AA meetings. I personally believe that the God issue is one of the most challenging for people coming into AA these days.

So I say my piece every once and awhile when I think it might help. And I mostly get positive results and feedback.... But mostly I stand there quietly as they pray to different higher powers, knowingly or not, and quietly talk to myself, every once and awhile having a sense that I'm not alone.

Thanks!!

Take care!

Mike L

Anonymous said...

Mike, Thank you for much for this blog and what you wrote. I am a grateful member of Al Anon and I feel the same way that you do. I do not think the Lord's Prayer appropriate to end our meetings. I lean towards Eastern thought and Buddism and I am also a very spiritual person. I don't think it appropriate for Al Anon to use these denominational prayers within the 12 step programs. NC

Anonymous said...

Mike, Thank you for much for this blog and what you wrote. I am a grateful member of Al Anon and I feel the same way that you do. I do not think the Lord's Prayer appropriate to end our meetings. I lean towards Eastern thought and Buddism and I am also a very spiritual person. I don't think it appropriate for Al Anon to use these denominational prayers within the 12 step programs. NC